Spacecraft Electrical and Power Systems Engineer
Spacecraft represent the most pressing unmet need across the entire aerospace industry. As more launch vehicles come online and the cost to orbit decreases, more companies launching payloads to space continue to emerge.
For the first time in history, this influx of payload companies combined with reduced launch costs has resulted in a massive increase in need for commercial spacecraft platforms, known as satellite buses. These buses hold the payloads of our customers and are flown on launch vehicles.
Apex manufactures these satellite buses as scale using a combination of software, vertical integration, and hardware that is designed for manufacturing. Our spacecraft enable the future of society: ranging from earth observation to communications and more.
We’d love for you to join us on our mission of providing humankind access to the galaxy beyond our planet.
Please note: our employees view Apex as their life’s mission. As such, we have an intense culture of curiosity, hunger, and results. If you want a typical 9-5 job, this is not the place for you. If you live and breathe aerospace, if you believe the future of humanity is beyond Earth, and if you want to be a foundational member of that journey beyond our planet, Apex is the place for you. This will be an intense, results-focused mission, where you will be surrounded by a passionate team that strives to move quickly, reliably, and intelligently.
About This Role
Apex is designing several core bus platforms, each of which will be offered with several trim levels to meet a range of customer performance requirements. These bus platforms will also be designed to be manufactured at scale.
We are seeking a seasoned spacecraft electrical engineer to work on a closely integrated team who will drive the design of the avionics, flight computer and power systems to meet the requirements of our bus. You will have an opportunity to approach this from a clean sheet design and inform coupled trades across the vehicle architecture. You will be innovative in your approach to push the limits of design and performance, while disrupting and making an impact on the industry. This role reports directly into the CTO.
- Extreme ownership of all aspects of electrical hardware development, from requirements definition through design, prototyping, fabrication, testing, and production
- Develop PCBA requirements and layout in collaboration with other engineering teams
- PCBA design verification testing and system integration testing
- Perform circuit analysis including power, tolerance, and reliability related
- Responsible for the core avionics of the spacecraft, including digital and analog systems
- Close collaboration with spacecraft thermal engineering to dissipate generated heat
- Verification and qualification of designs to spacecraft environment
- Validate integration through development of hardware in the loop simulator.
- Circuit design and simulation, schematic capture, and PCB layout
- Full subsystem ownership including ensuring harness and enclosure design meeting requirements
- Define requirements for subcomponents and drive supplier downselection
- Participate in customer and internal design reviews
- 5+ years of spacecraft electronics experience
- Experience across multiple spacecraft programs
- Bachelor’s degree in aerospace engineering or a related field. Master’s degree preferred but not required.
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills, able to work effectively within an organization and convey decisions, direction, and conclusions in a manner meaningful to multiple audiences.
- Extensive experience in spacecraft design, launch, and operation, including experience at all phases of the development lifecycle
- Experience in integrated software/hardware verification and testing.
Apex believes in creating a work environment that you look forward to embracing every day. Our employees love working at Apex, and we want you to love it too. We offer the following benefits:
- Work with a small, dynamic team that enables you and offers you the resources you need to do your best work putting hardware into orbit.
- Shared upside: receive equity in Apex, letting you benefit from the work you create.
- Best-in-class healthcare, dental, and vision plans.
- Unlimited PTO, with a required 2 week/year minimum.
- Your dream desk setup, tools, and whatever else you need to be your most productive self.
- A world class office located in Culver City, filled with snacks, amazing coworkers, and social gatherings for you and your family.
- Paternity/maternity leave.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Apex Technology, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Candidates and employees are always evaluated based on merit, qualifications, and performance. We will never discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, national origin, ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.